Friday, January 6, 2012

2012 = Gluttony?

New Year's Eve started out with truffles. I planned on making the Decadent Chocolate Truffles from The Vegan Table for Christmas, but an unexpected trip to the emergency room made that kinda impossible. So my mother and I made a batch of them for New Year's Eve instead. 
I rolled them in walnuts pieces, crushed graham crackers, and crystalline candy sprinkles. The candy sprinkled truffles were seriously sweet (really, what did I expect?), but the other two varieties were the perfect balance of salty and sweet. Here's a close-up picture:
I ended up munching on the leftovers for almost a week. Delicious, but definitely indulgent. I probably shouldn't eat any more desserts for a month and a half! 

Speaking of indulgence, my Christmas comic book/graphic novel haul was pretty impressive. 
Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth! I've been dying to read this for months now.
And the complete edition of Terry Moore's Echo! Love, love, love.

My brother also lent me his copy of Planetary volume one, by Warren Ellis and John Cassady, and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. 

Oh yeah, and I'm going to the local comic book tomorrow!!!

So lots of indulgence going on in all areas except yarn. I've accumulated quite a stash over the past year, and am now trying to "knit it down." Here's the first project of 2012, made with a skein of yarn my brother gave me last Christmas. 
For all you yarnies out there, it's a lovely skein of Noro Silk Garden. And yup, so not vegan. I have a soft spot when it comes to non-vegan yarn.

I'm currently working on a slouchy gray turtleneck pullover, made with Cascade 220 yarn. The biggest challenge so far is the color. I typically knit with bright, vibrant yarn, but sometimes you really don't want to wear a bright pink or sparkling blue sweater. But gray can an be awfully boring color to knit with. 

I wanted to share my thoughts on DC's new 52, but since this is a pretty long post, I think I'll save it for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment