Saturday, March 10, 2012

No Cooking

Sorry for the lack of posts. I've been incredibly busy lately, which means I haven't had a lot of time for cooking. I made an uninspired pasta, and J cooked a humongous pot of veggie chili that is going to take forever to eat. Uncharacteristically, I tried to convince him it was a good idea to have take-out every day this past week.

That didn't happen. But we did have a couple of good meals. The first was at Station Street. Well, more accurately, it came from Station Street. J brought a couple of vegan hot dogs home for dinner one night. He's far from a vegan, but it was Friday, so he couldn't eat meat. 

I made a traditional choice with a House Dog, with ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, and the welcome addition of sriracha. This was very good. Next time, however, I'm going to try something else. Maybe the Hawaiian Dog, minus the bacon, of course. 
Next time we'll eat in. I have heard that the decor is very kitschy, and I'm big into kitsch.

We also went to China Palace in Shadyside. We went to this restaurant once before, almost a year ago, and for some reason never made it back. I don't know why. There are a hundred vegetarian options on the menu, so many I was almost overwhelmed. 

We started with the fried sweet yam. This was basically like a vegetable tempura. The batter was not quite as light as I'd like to, but it was still a satisfying appetizer.
  J ordered the Stir-Fried Spinach Lo Mein. 

And I had the Soy Protein with Kung Pao Sauce.
This was amazing! By far the best Kung Pao dish I've had in a long time. We're definitely going back to the China Palace.

I'm sure that there'll be more take-out and restaurant posts in the future. Life is very hectic right now -- I haven't knit a thing in days, or read any comic books. But hey, I still have to eat, right? :) 

3 comments:

  1. So you're in Pittsburgh, eh? That's where I was born. Lucky me. Let when I was two, never looked back. Glad to see they've got a good restaurant up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there's a couple of good places to eat here! Wow, so you're from Pittsburgh? It's a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asian restaurants around here (Hartford) are great for vegan meals out so I'm not surprised you have some in Pittsburgh. Speaking of Pittsburgh, have you ever watched that show Dance Moms? I watch it online here: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/dance-moms . It's filmed in Pittsburgh.

    Those sweet yam fries look delicious, and now I totally want a vegan hot dog with everything on it - yum!

    ReplyDelete