Monday, July 5, 2010

Making Bread in the Middle of the Night

I'm lucky and usually don't have any trouble sleeping, but last night I just couldn't fall asleep. I lay awake for hours before finally deciding to get up and do something useful ... I baked.

After looking through my cookbook collection, I found a recipe for Ginger Bread in How It All Vegan. It was perfect, as I always have a stash of fresh ginger, and even had a little container of crystallized ginger. The only ingredient I didn't have was molasses, but figured it would be okay to use brown rice syrup instead.
I haven't baked anything for a long time (trying to limit my intake of white flour and sugar), but reasoned with myself that brown rice syrup made this a healthy-ish baked good. Still lots of white flour, but oh well. At three o'clock in the morning, it seems almost obscene to cook a pasta dish or make a big pot of soup, but baking felt right somehow. And the ginger bread is seriously good. It's moist and mildly sweet. I might add another 1/4 cup of crystallized ginger next time I make this, but otherwise I think this recipe was perfect. 
 
On a side note, I am now completely obsessed with canning. I want to go to an U-pick berry farm sometime very soon and try making preserves or jelly. I envision a pantry filled with homemade jars of fruit and veggies -- seriously, how wonderful would that be??

Anyway, I'll probably post again tonight, as I'm about to go into the kitchen to make some cassoulet for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment