Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hellboy, Fables, What's Ahead

Here's the graphic novels I've been reading this week:
Hellboy: Seed of Destruction! I received this for a late Christmas present in the mail from my brother. Thanks Reg! Now this is a good introduction into the Hellboy/B.P.R.D universe. This book is all about Hellboy's origin, complete with Nazis, a Rasputin-like villain, and of course Hellboy's mysterious red right hand. The first movie was loosely based on the events in the book, so there were no surprises. Still, this was a satisfying read.
I've been on quite a Fables roll. After a long hiatus, I read three graphic novels in the past three weeks. Fables: War and Pieces is about the events leading up to and encompassing Fabletown's war against the Adversary. Remember when I complained about the lack of interesting female characters in Sons of Empire? Well, War and Pieces makes up for this with Cinderella, Fabletown's spy/assassin! She is sent out on a mission to retrieve a certain "package," and comes across all kinds of peril along the way. But nothing keeps Cinderella down! 

Looks can be deceiving in Fables, and this is one of my favorite things about the series. Unassuming characters (a janitor, a scrawny Fable always toting a trumpet) evolve to become kings or impressive warriors. In War and Pieces, Beauty complains about Cinderella's involvement in their war strategies. Why should Cindy be entrusted with such an important mission? She only owns a shoe store, after all. She's just another pretty face. Cinderella proves her to be so very, very wrong.

Speaking of wonderful women characters, Sue of DC Women Kicking Ass has started a new blog, This Is What Women in Superhero Comics Should Be. Anyone can submit pictures and panels of their favorite women characters. As soon as I figure out how to do it (I'm a bit tech unsavvy), I'm going to submit something. I encourage you to do the same. 

I went to the comic book store last night and picked up copies of the latest Animal Man, Memorial, Fatale, Rachel Rising, and Alpha Girl. I'll let you know what I think about these comic books in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to read that Hellboy sometime. And about Fables: that's also what I love about it. Frog and Blue, zero to hero. Gotta love it! Animal Man, Animal Man, Animal Man...it's always about Animal Man. I might have to pick up a copy the next time I'm going down to Cowtown.

    ReplyDelete