Friday, May 14, 2010

Curried Couscous and Vegetables

Curried Couscous and Vegetables from Quick-Fix Vegetarian. This is not actually what we had to eat tonight for dinner -- I've been a little behind with my posting. We did have the leftovers for lunch, though.
I stuck pretty closely to the recipe this time, except for adding some fresh fava beans. I'd never tried fava beans before, and have come to the realization that I really don't like them. So I picked them out of my couscous. Jason liked his though. This is a great dish to make on weeknights, as it came together so quickly! Just chop up a zucchini or two, add some green onions, baby peas, and chickpeas with vegetable broth and curry powder, and then mix in some quick-cooking couscous. Done!

This is actually the sort of meal that tastes even better the next day, which is great for leftover lunches. Just wanted to mention I borrowed Quick-Fix Vegetarian from my amazing library, as I have with a lot of the cookbooks I've mentioned in other posts. It's great to give a cookbook a trial-run before putting down the twenty or so dollars for one. I look forward to trying another recipe or two before I have to return the book.

So: what did we have for dinner? We went to dinner with a friend we hadn't seen for a long time. I chose Pacific Ring because it's not far from where we live, and because I had a coupon from the Pennysaver. I also liked the shrimp dishes I'd ordered there in the past, but unfortunately, shrimp dishes and vegan dishes don't seem to be on quite the same level. I ordered the Buddha's Delight, which was ... lackluster. The vegetables were a bit limp and tasteless, as was the watery brown sauce. Maybe the short conversation I had with the waiter should have served as a warning:

Me: Can you tell me what's in the Buddha's Delight?
Waiter: (shrugging) Mixed vegetables.

Oh well. They did have a pretty large selection of veg dishes, which is nice. And maybe they were just having an off day. It happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment