Monday, May 3, 2010

Snobby Joes!

I'm lucky to have two friends who are vegan and patiently answered all the questions I had before starting my own vegan adventure. Like, what do vegans eat?? They gave me lots of great info about websites I should look at and books I should read.

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
Kathy then sent me a treasure trove of vegan books: Obligate Carnivore, The World Peace Diet, No More Bull, and Veganomicon! Thanks again, Kathy! All the books are wonderful (I'm reading The World Peace Diet now), but Veganomicon is like The Joy of Cooking for vegans. It has a massive amount of great-sounding recipes. I want to try all of them eventually, but I decided to make the snobby joes first.




Doesn't everyone have childhood nostalgia about those Manwich sloppy joes? I know I do. Snobby joes substitute lentils for the ground beef, which is perfect because I'm a big lentil fan.

It takes longer to make this than the Manwich version, of course, but it was well worth it. It is so much more delicious than sloppy joe-in-a-can! Also, as my husband pointed out, it is still really sloppy! I served the snobby joes with the requisite salads and scoops of brown rice (sriracha on mine!).

No comments:

Post a Comment