Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Brunch

Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For--From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin PancakesI like to make a nice Sunday morning brunch. For a while I was doing tofu scrambles, but today decided to try something new from Vegan Brunch. Curried cauliflower fritatta.

No eggs in this fritatta, of course. Instead crumbled tofu stands in as the binding agent. There's also cauliflower, carrots, garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, cumin and curry powder, and nutritional yeast. Isa very specifically advises that you chop the cauliflower into tiny pieces, which I thought I did, but apparently they weren't small enough. My fritatta came out looking great, but fell apart as soon as I tried to cut it into pieces.

Here it is just out of the oven.

And here it is, inverted onto a plate. I think it would have been easier to just scoop it out of the pie pan.

Despite being more of a curry cauliflower mash-up than a fritatta, it still tasted good. I added sriracha to mine, of course. :)

In the spirit of adventure, I also made tempeh bacon. This recipe was from You Won't Believe It's Vegan! It was ... umm, good, but did not taste like bacon. Mine didn't crisp up either, despite cutting it into very thin slices. To be absolutely truthful, I don't think I'll make this one again.
This was also my first attempt at cooking with tempeh, and some bites of the "bacon" had a slightly bitter taste. I read somewhere that steaming tempeh first gets rid of the bitterness, so I'll try that the next time I use tempeh in a recipe.

Leftover dumplings and dumpling sauce for dinner, with sauteed zucchini, snap peas, ginger, mushrooms and a poblano pepper.

I was a little cranky today, because I wanted to jog around the track in the park(exercise's so much more fun when you don't have to rely on fitness DVDs), but it rained pretty much constantly. So no jogging.

Oh well. At least I had lots of good food and my best friend (my husband!) to spend the day with.

No comments:

Post a Comment