Saturday, April 17, 2010

Enchiladas on Saturday

My father-in-law is here for a belated birthday visit, so we decided to celebrate with:



Enchiladas! My version had a mixture of sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, green and poblano pepper, onion and garlic. We used a mixture of Goya Recaito, a cilantro cooking base, and some green salsa (Mrs. Renfro's) to sautee them in. It was topped with guacamole, more green salsa (because I like my Mexican food really, really hot) and shredded Daiya cheddar non-cheese. This was my first experience with Daiya, and I was impressed. It has exactly the right cheesy texture and taste. And it melted like real cheese too!



(Little sidenote: I've been really pleased with the vegan cheese I've tried so far. I'm so glad non-cheese has improved so significantly over the years! When I was growing up, my brother had a severe allergy to dairy products, and used to eat this non-cheese that can only be described as an orange plastic block. It was very, very bad.)



Anyway, the guys added shrimp and actual cheddar cheese to their enchiladas. My husband enjoys the new vegan dishes we've been cooking, but he's a die-hard cheese devotee. He did try the tiniest bit of Daiya and said it was pretty good, however.



Birthday celebrations aren't complete without a cake.



Say what you might about Whole Foods and their advocacy of free-range, grain-fed meats. I'm just grateful that they have vegan carrot cake -- complete with the vegan icing they used to personalize the cake. I'm not much of a baker, and was just not up to the challenge of my first vegan cake. Not yet, anyway. Also, the carrot cake was delicious.



All in all, a pleasant way to spend a Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment